Grand Forks: Businesses and community vulnerable after pedophile court case number completely removed from court website
Employment background checks not showing active child sex assault cases
by Timothy Charles Holmseth on March 27, 2017, 8:14 A.M. CST
Businesses in Grand Forks better be careful.
Somebody’s deliberate removal of an entire court record regarding an accused child rapist has made the Grand Forks community vulnerable.
The court record regarding sex assault charges against George Robert Lyons, an accused child rapist, caused the case to not show up during a routine criminal background check at a local business that delivers to residents of Grand Forks.
Write Into Action has learned Lyons was deemed eligible for employment at a Grand Forks business establishment because the 1st and 2nd degree sexual assault charges filed against him in Minnesota did not appear on the companies standard background check.
The company’s policy would have precluded his employment.
Management immediately terminated Lyons after using Google to act on a tip from an existing employee, which revealed multiple news stories from Valley News Live and the Grand Forks Herald regarding the case.
Write Into Action initiated an independent investigation and found the criminal charges will not appear on background checks performed by businesses and employers, because the charges do not even exist on the Minnesota State website.
However – according to the East Grand Forks Police Department (EGFPD), no records can be released to Write Into Action because it is an “ongoing investigation”.
The refusal to release records to Write Into Action is odd because Valley New Live and the Grand Forks Herald referred to court records in original stories that were published on the case. Essentially – somebody decided retroactively to begin withholding records.
Whoever removed the George Lyons case from the record has jeopardized the safety of the entire community and its children.
The disappearing files aren’t exactly a Perry Mason mystery.
The George Lyons case mysteriously vanished from the court record after he announced he was engaged to Grand Forks County State Prosecutor Jodi Bass.
Naturally, that places a focus squarely on the Grand Forks States Attorney office.
To understand the critical nature of this cover-up – one needs to review the case, which was brought against George Lyons’ brother, Matthew Lyons, by the State of North Dakota in 2013.
On August 9, 2013 Grand Forks States Attorney Jason McCarthy filed charges against Matthew Lyons for ‘Continuous Sexual Abuse of a Child’ and ‘Child Neglect or Abuse’.
On January 9, 2014, Matthew Lyons pled guilty to charges involving a victim that was six years-old when the abuse began and continued for six years.
So – what was Matthew Lyons’ brother, George Lyons, doing while his brother was preparing to go away for life?
According to court records obtained by Valley News Live (which now do not exist on the Minnesota or North Dakota State websites) George Lyons was actively sexually assaulting children at the same time his brother we receiving a life sentence.
On January 7, 2016, Valley News Live reported that Lt. Rodney Hajicek, EGFPD, said police became involved in the Minnesota case, after a school employee notified Social Services a young child victim was having problems.
“According to court records, it happened at an undisclosed East Grand Forks home on January 20, 2014. George Lyons is accused of forcing a 13-year old female relative to perform oral sex on him.”
Lt. Hajicek says Lyons is also being investigated on the North Dakota side of the river for a possible, similar crime. That one involves another woman Lyons had been living with and her daughter, Valley News reported.
This could be a problem, folks.
It appears the matter involving the second victim; the child in North Dakota; may have ALSO vanished from the record.
On March 23, 2017 Write Into Action contacted the Grand Forks Police Department and said, “This inquiry is in regards to George Lyons. He was arrested by the East Grand Forks Police in January, 2016 and charged with 1st and 2nd Degree felony sexual assault of a minor. On January 8, 2016, Valley News Live reported “Meanwhile, East Grand Forks Police say Lyons was also under investigation in Grand Forks County for a similar incident.” I am requesting all police records regarding the “similar incident” Thank you, Timothy Charles Holmseth”.
Lt. Derik Zimmel, GFPD, replied, “I have no record of George Lyons being the subject of any active GFPD investigation at that time”.
If the GFPD has no record of the case; who was/is investigating it? Moreover – how did Lt. Hajicek know there was an investigation in Grand Forks County? Who told him that?
This is where facts, circumstances, and small details begin to make this situation creepy and frightening.
On January 8, 2016, Valley News Live reported, “East Grand Forks Police say Lyons was also under investigation in Grand Forks County for a similar incident. Assistant States Attorney, Jason McCarthy says he can’t comment on ongoing investigations.”
JUDGE JASON MCCARTHY
The Grand Forks States Attorney that prosecuted Matthew Lyons in 2014 was Jason McCarthy.
He is also the States Attorney that could not comment on the George Lyons case.
He never did talk about George Lyons or file any charges.
He’s a Judge now.
Jason McCarthy was appointed to the bench by North Dakota Governor Jack Dalrymple on October 24, 2016.
Since that time…
The entire George Lyons case file has vanished from existence and he has been running around telling everybody he is engaged to Grand Forks Assistant States Attorney Jodi Bass. He announced it on Facebook and published it on the Bed, Bath, Beyond marriage registry.
Let’s take a look at what the ‘Honorable’ Judge Jason McCarthy – the (former) Prosecutor assigned to State of North Dakota v. Matthew P. Lyons factually knows, moving forward.
In March of 2014, Grand Forks State Attorney Jason McCarthy entered into evidence:
Six years old.
Strapped down to the bed.
You get the picture.
So did McCarthy - because he claimed he was outraged.
On March 27, 2014, the Grand Forks Herald reported the following:
“It was the worst case of sexual abuse of a minor in the community in years, Jason McCarthy, assistant state's attorney for Grand Forks County told [Judge] Clapp. He recommended a sentence of life in prison with the possibility of parole for Lyons, who is 37,” the Grand Forks Herald reported.
“McCarthy listed details of 10 previous cases in the past decade in Grand Forks of sexual abuse of minors. None of these cases comes even close, or holds a candle to the facts we have in this case,” he told [Judge] Clapp.
- Grand Forks Herald / March 27, 2014
In October, 2016, while dealing with the case of George Lyons, Jason McCarthy is suddenly given a Judgeship by the Governor and he never looks back.
Neither does the Grand Forks Herald or Valley News or anybody else.
President Donald Trump might want to reconsider any plans he made to use Dalrymple as an advisor. Trump’s name could get sucked into the North Dakota pedophile ring scandal that has made the creepy and dangerous University of North Dakota so famous.
Who made the George Lyons child rape file disappear?
Write Into Action continues to investigate.
You can learn more details about my investigation into this case at www.writeintoaction.com
* * * * *